- Climate control system switches into recirculated air mode when reverse is selected and when you activate the wipers to prevent exchaust gas and the smell of the windscreen cleaner from being distributed in the cabin.
- Headlights turn on when you exceed 140km/h.
- Headlights will stay on until the car comes to a complete stop even if the engine is turned off.
- Rear wiper activates automatically when you put the car in reverse and it’s raining.
- Front wipers change position every time you switch off the car to avoid having the blades leaning in the one direction all the time and extending their life. There are 4 positions that they park in.
- At speed the front wipers tuck in to increase aerodynamic efficiency.
- Permanent vertical illumination of the controls via the interior LED lights was the resut of a study with the Technical University of Darmstadt in Germany which found found that certain light sources in the interior can increase active safety when driving at night. The eyes can adjust more quickly to changes when switching from the road to the interior. This is especially important with dark headlining like the GTI.
The Media Device Interface (MDI) offers support for USB devices (memory sticks and hard drives), iPod integration and Aux In along with displaying ID3 tags over the CANbus to the MFD and the RCD310, RCD510 and RNS510 headunit. The unit is available for the Passat which mounts in the glovebox and the Golf which mounts in the centre console replacing the 6 stacker cd changer. It is possible to mount the unit elsewhere in the car.
UPDATE: Volkswagen have released a retrofit kit that comes without the additional trim for the cd changer mounting and is designed for mounting behind the dash. See here for further information.
- Module with USB cable for Golf/Passat/Jetta: Part Number 5N0 035 341 B (5N0035341 B) – 1stvwparts.com USD$255.86
- Module with USB cable for Tiguan: Part number 5N0 035 341 (5N0035341) 1stvwparts.com USD$300.94)
- iPod cable: Part Number 000 051 446 C (000051446C) – 1stvwparts.com ~USD$51
- AUX in cable: Part Number 000 051 446 D (000051446D)
- Extension cable for MDI interface 000 051 447 (000051447)
If you want to install the unit into the cd changer location on a GTI with Anthracite trim that doesn’t have a changer installed in the console between the seats you will need the following parts
- CD Changer Center Console: Part Number 1K0 863 323A 71N (1K0863323A71N)
- CD Changer Insert: Part Number 1K0 863 328A 71N (1K0863328A71N)
- CD Changer Air Duct: Part Number 1K0 864 255C (1K0864255C)
To remove the CD Changer housing to make the MDI easier to mount (Glovebox for example) remove the two T20 screws and then press down on the two clips on the unit to release it.
Pinouts on Media Device Interface (MDI), Bold connections only used if CD changer being retained.
Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: CAN Low
Pin 3: not used
Pin 4: NFR+/AUX R+
Pin 5: NFL+/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 6: NFR+/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 7: 12V
Pin 8: CAN High
Pin 9: NFL+/AUX L+
Pin 10: NF-/AUX –
Pin 11: NF-/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 12: Shield for CD Changer pass thru cable
Make custom harness for connecting to headunit
- 2m of 2 conductor shielded wire
- 2m of unshielded twister pair
- 4m of 18 guage wire
- 5 x 000 979 009 repair wire
- 8E0 972 112 housing
Place two connectors on the UTP for CAN High and CAN Low, two connectors on the 18guage wire for 12V and Ground and two connectors to the 2 conductor shielded wire. This is the end for the MDI and for the end on the head unit side you can splice these wires or use a bluetooth or similar harness.
MDI Interface Headunit
Pin 1 Ground – T16/12
Pin 2 CAN Low – T16/10
Pin 4 NFR+/AUX R+ – T12B/7
Pin 7 12V – T16/15
Pin 8 CAN High – T16/09
Pin 9 NFL+/AUX L+ – T12B/1
Pin 10 NF-/AUX- – T12B/2
Add Auxiliary input with MDI fitted.
- Aux in port: Part number 1K0 035 724B
- 3 wire connector housing: Part number 1C0 973 119B
- Terminals (2): Part number 000 979 009
Pin 1 of the 3 pin connector (R+) goes to Pin 4 of the MDI
Pin 2 of the 3 pin connector (-) goes to Pin 10 of the MDI
Pin 3 of the 3 pin connector (L+) goes to Pin 9 of the MDI
Kufatec sell this unit as a kit, click here for further information.
When using the USB with removable hard drive ensure that the drive is using a FAT32 file system, other types such as NTFS will not be usable.
This page has been replaced by – Volkswagen Oil Standards – lists of all approved oils – Skoda – Audi – Seat
Volkswagen introduced it’s own specifications for engine oil in the mid 1990’s and these cover Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi and Seat made cars.
There are two new VW standards for oils, 504.00 for petrol powered engines and 507.00 for diesel powered engines. Introduced in late 2005, whilst these are seperate standards every oil made to date has meet the requirements of both standards. Hence why VW refer to the standards as 504.00/507.00.
All VW petrol and diesel engines with the exception of the Touareg R5 and V10 diesels with pump nozzles can use these new oils.
List of the most common VW standards
- VW 500.00 – VW spec for multigrade engine oils for petrol engines with SAE 5W-X/10W-X viscosity for engines built up until August 1999 (MY 2000).
- VW 500.00 + 505.00 – Oil meets both VW 500.00 and 505.00 spec.
- VW 501.01 – VW spec for petrol engines for engines built up until August 1999 (MY 2000).
- VW 501.14 – Brake fluid with low viscosity, VW 2006>.
- VW 502.00 – VW spec, oil for petrol engines. Successor of VW 501.01 & 500.00 spec.
- VW 503.00 – Long-life petrol engine oil for VW cars with WIV. Meets ACEA A1, SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30. Suitable for the AUDI S4, engines with an output greater than 180bhp should use 503.01 or 504.00/507.00.
- VW 503.01 – Special engine oil for some VW petrol engines. SAE 5W-30. Suitable for the Ausi RS4, TT, S3 and A8 6.0 V12.
- VW 504.00 – Long-life petrol engines with WIV.
- VW 505.00 – Passanger car diesel engine oil, minimum performance level CCMC PD-2. Lists viscosities:- SAE 5W-50, 10W-50/60, 15W-40/50, 20W-40/50 requiring 13% max evaporation loss and SAE 5W-30/40, 10W-30/40 requiring 15% max evaporation loss.
- VW 505.01 – Special engine oil for VW turbodiesel with pump-injector-unit and for the V8 commonrail turbodiesel engines. Meets ACEA B4 SAE 5W-40 spec.
- VW 506.00 – Special long-life engine oil for turbodiesel engines with WIV, viscosity is SAE 0W-30.
- VW 506.01 – Special long-life oil for turbodiesel engines with pump-injector-unit with WIV.
- VW 507.00 – Long-life diesel engine oil with WIV.
- VW 508.00 – Fuel economy low saps oil in development.
WIV is extended drain periods up to 30,000km or 24 months.
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 that meets 504.00/507.00
Current list of oils that meet VW 502.00, VW505.01 and VW 504.00/507.00 Volkswagen TSB 17-08-01
Current list of 502.00 and 505.00 oils at September 2008 VW 502.00 and 505.00 oils at 24 09 2008
Current list of 504.00/507.00 oils at September 2008 VW 504.00/507.00 oils at 24 09 2008