DuPont Krytox is an inert lubricant designed originally as an aerospace lubricant suitable for many areas around the car including door seals, hinges and latches. The product can also be used between plastics to prevent squeaks (see list below of some applications). Unlike petroleum based products (silicon and lithium grease t0 name two common products) Krytox will not damage rubber products. Before applying to rubber surfaces they should be free of all contaniments and the use of a IMS (Industrial Marine Solvent) similar to 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner and Wax Remover (part number 08984) is recommended.
Krytox comes in two package types from DuPont, an oil and a grease. Volkswagen sell both plus an aerosol, most auto manufacturers sell Krytox repackaged.
Oil – used on Eos to protected the weatherstrip – best for seals –
- Description: Weatherstrip lubricant – 30ml
- Part number: G 052 172 A1 (G052172A1)
- Price: AUD$120 / USD$60 (edit price AUD$53.95 from Australian Dealer – 8/7/2010)
- DuPont part number: GPL 105
- GM part number: 3634770 (around USD$25/29ml)
Aerosol – majority of the can is propellant so only useful for areas you can’t reach or get the product into with an applicator
- Description: Aerosol – 100ml (5-7% Krytox)
- Part number: G 052 172 A2 (G052172A2)
- Price: USD$70
- Description: ?
- Part number: G 060 172 A3 (G060172A3)
- Price: ?
- DuPont part number: GPL 205 (around USD$40/56.7grams)
See below for suppliers and pricing in different countries.
What is Krytox?
Krytox is a high-performance, non-flammable and chemically inert lubricant that is compatible with oxygen and has a strong resistance to aggressive chemicals. Krytox® provides extended life across a wide range of high-temperature applications.
Krytox oil is a perfluorinated polyether. It is a liquid fluoropolymer, similar to liquid Teflon®. Greases are made with various viscosity grades of PFPE oil that are thickened with special PTFE grease thickeners to match the performance capabilities of the oils. Various additives for corrosion protection, extreme pressure conditions, or antiwear improvement are added to some of the grades.
Krytox is compatible with all seal materials. It is chemically inert.
Krytox is a very safe lubricant to use. All Krytox products are chemically inert. Krytox oils are even used in cosmetics and the greases as barrier creams. The materials decompose at temperatures above 343°C (650°F); some of the decomposition products are potentially hazardous.
Krytox does not contain any Volatile Organic Compounds. Krytox® is made of fluorine, oxygen, and carbon. It does not contain any hydrogen.
- Extends life of seals.
- Our lubricants can be used as barrier fluids or sealants.
- Completely non-reactive.
- Broad elastomeric compatibility.
- Won’t react with acids, bases or other harsh chemicals.
- Chemically, biologically and environmentally inert and silicone-free.
- Contain no VOC materials or chlorine and are not hazardous to the atmosphere or ozone layer.
- Undamaged by and non-reactive with acidic or caustic cleaners and disinfectants, steam, moisture and high temperatures.
- Silenced a squeak occurring in a convertible roof latch mechanism.
- Stopped wind noise and water leakage associated with window guide seals distorting when the window was opened, then closed.
- Eliminated an instrument panel squeak on a luxury sedan.
- Solved a problem with a window weatherstripping “bunching” and distorting on a new sedan.
- Quieted another I.P. squeak problem on a luxury sports sedan.
- Eliminated a squeak caused by a sun visor.
- Stopped a squeak caused by a driver’s-side “S.I.R.” assembly.
- Silenced a windshield “creak” problem occurring in a large truck.
- Resolved numerous miscellaneous glove box and ashtray noises.
- And . . . Krytox® oils and greases handle a number of “itch” problems encountered between the windshield and backlite lace and the vehicle bodies on a number of vehicles.
- Elimination of wind noise produced by window glass causing the weatherstripping to distort as the glass is raised.
- Reduction in the force required to open an ashtray on a compact car.
- Elimination of a cupholder squeak in a luxury vehicle.
- Stopping console and instrument panel squeaks on two “twin” vehicles.
- Eradicating a sunroof “tick” on a SUV
- Quieting a window “judder” (glass chatter) on a truck power window system.
- Eliminating a squeak on a SUV compartment latch mechanism.
- Silencing a windshield “creak” problem on a new small car.
- Stopping a weatherstip “gathering” problem on a truck.
Supply and Pricing outside the Volkswagen dealer network
Fluid Seals & Packings
80 Reserve Road
Artarmon NSW 2064
Krytox® GPL205 2Oz tube
$89.00 each +GST (Ex Stock)
Krytox® GPL205 8Oz tube
$275.00 each +GST (Ex Stock)
Krytox® GPL105 1kg approx. 500mL bottle (smallest pack size available currently)
$649.00 each +GST (Delivery 6 weeks)
Delivery varies but an air satchel to Brisbane is $13.50 +GST.
(post prices and details of suppliers using the comments box and I’ll add them to this list)
<all prices may vary as these are not checked – if you see any discrepancies in pricing let me know – Krytox has had some large price increases in the past so this could occur again>