The Media Device Interface (MDI) offers support for USB devices (memory sticks and hard drives), iPod integration and Aux In along with displaying ID3 tags over the CANbus to the MFD and the RCD310, RCD510 and RNS510 headunit. The unit is available for the Passat which mounts in the glovebox and the Golf which mounts in the centre console replacing the 6 stacker cd changer. It is possible to mount the unit elsewhere in the car.
UPDATE: Volkswagen have released a retrofit kit that comes without the additional trim for the cd changer mounting and is designed for mounting behind the dash. See here for further information.
- Module with USB cable for Golf/Passat/Jetta: Part Number 5N0 035 341 B (5N0035341 B) - 1stvwparts.com USD$255.86
- Module with USB cable for Tiguan: Part number 5N0 035 341 (5N0035341) 1stvwparts.com USD$300.94)
- iPod cable: Part Number 000 051 446 C (000051446C) - 1stvwparts.com ~USD$51
- AUX in cable: Part Number 000 051 446 D (000051446D)
- Extension cable for MDI interface 000 051 447 (000051447)
If you want to install the unit into the cd changer location on a GTI with Anthracite trim that doesn’t have a changer installed in the console between the seats you will need the following parts
- CD Changer Center Console: Part Number 1K0 863 323A 71N (1K0863323A71N)
- CD Changer Insert: Part Number 1K0 863 328A 71N (1K0863328A71N)
- CD Changer Air Duct: Part Number 1K0 864 255C (1K0864255C)
To remove the CD Changer housing to make the MDI easier to mount (Glovebox for example) remove the two T20 screws and then press down on the two clips on the unit to release it.
Pinouts on Media Device Interface (MDI), Bold connections only used if CD changer being retained.
Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: CAN Low
Pin 3: not used
Pin 4: NFR+/AUX R+
Pin 5: NFL+/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 6: NFR+/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 7: 12V
Pin 8: CAN High
Pin 9: NFL+/AUX L+
Pin 10: NF-/AUX -
Pin 11: NF-/CD Changer pass thru
Pin 12: Shield for CD Changer pass thru cable
Make custom harness for connecting to headunit
- 2m of 2 conductor shielded wire
- 2m of unshielded twister pair
- 4m of 18 guage wire
- 5 x 000 979 009 repair wire
- 8E0 972 112 housing
Place two connectors on the UTP for CAN High and CAN Low, two connectors on the 18guage wire for 12V and Ground and two connectors to the 2 conductor shielded wire. This is the end for the MDI and for the end on the head unit side you can splice these wires or use a bluetooth or similar harness.
MDI Interface Headunit
Pin 1 Ground – T16/12
Pin 2 CAN Low – T16/10
Pin 4 NFR+/AUX R+ – T12B/7
Pin 7 12V – T16/15
Pin 8 CAN High – T16/09
Pin 9 NFL+/AUX L+ – T12B/1
Pin 10 NF-/AUX- – T12B/2
Add Auxiliary input with MDI fitted.
- Aux in port: Part number 1K0 035 724B
- 3 wire connector housing: Part number 1C0 973 119B
- Terminals (2): Part number 000 979 009
Pin 1 of the 3 pin connector (R+) goes to Pin 4 of the MDI
Pin 2 of the 3 pin connector (-) goes to Pin 10 of the MDI
Pin 3 of the 3 pin connector (L+) goes to Pin 9 of the MDI
Kufatec sell this unit as a kit, click here for further information.
When using the USB with removable hard drive ensure that the drive is using a FAT32 file system, other types such as NTFS will not be usable.