Version 2660 / 2662/ 2664/ 2666 / 2668 Firmware for the Volkswagen RNS 510 and the Skoda Columbus has been released and gives new features such as
- Voice Control (requires microphone – see Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control)
- Speed Limit Display
- Stability Improvements
- Faster Startup
- Display OPS and RVC at the same time
- SDHC 32 GB Support (HW04 and above)
- Display Off on extras tab
- Climatronic control if approriate climatronic fitted
- Clock display if RNS 510 swtiched off (buggy)
- Excluded roads (under route options)
- GPS coordinates entry
- Additional adjustments for video
- Larger RVC screen with transparent menus at the side
Further new features and more details can be found on the following page: Volkswagen RNS 510 Firmware version 2660 / 2662 / 2664 / 2666 / 2668 new features
Units that can be upgraded include (still being compiled may not be 100%)
- 1T0 035 680 (1T0035680) from software version 0421, 0520, 1000, 800, 900 and 1100 to version 2660.
- 1T0 035 680 A (1T0035680A) from software version 0421, 0520, 1000, 800, 900 and 1100 to version 2660.
- 1T0 035 680 B (1T0035680B) from software version 0421, 0520, 1000, 800, 900 and 1100 to version 2660.
- 7L6 035 680 (7L6035680) from software version 522, 1002, 1022 and 1102 to version 2664.
- 7L6 035 680 A (7L6035680A) from software version 522, 1002, 1022 and 1102 to version 2664.
- 7L6 035 680 B (7L6035680B) from software version 0522, 1002, 1022 and 1102 to version 2664.
- 1Z0 035 680 A (1Z0035680A) from software version 0524, 1004, 1024 and 904 to version 2664.
1Z0 035 680 A (1Z0035680A) becomes 3T0 035 680 B (3T0035680B) after upgrade.
- 1Z0 035 680 B (1Z0035680B) from software version 0524, 1004, 1024 and 1104 to version 2664.
1Z0 035 680 B (1Z0035680B) becomes 3T0 035 680 B (3T0035680B) after upgrade.
- Skoda units – see instructions below for keeping steering wheel buttons operational
- Seat units – No, the Hardware ID shows up as Skoda but if this is changed to VW the firmware will load and the Hardware ID can be changed back to Seat. There are no hardware definaitions for the Seat on the upgrade media.
- USA Firmware has yet to be released
Warning! This upgrade WILL delete your music and/or maps if you have a firmware version PRIOR to version 1100/1102. Units with a firmware version of 1100/1102 will not have music and maps deleted.
Warning! There is a remote chance of you ‘bricking’ the unit, this is a fraction of a percent but it could happen! The process takes around 60 minutes.’
Warning! There are a small number of users where the RNS 510 does not know where it is after it’s been powered on, details of the previous location are kept in the unit but at this stage there is no pattern to this problem.
Warning! Users with cars MY07 and earlier may experience power drain issues after the upgrade. See the post “Upgrading 2nd generation radios (RCD 300, RCD 500) to 3rd generation (RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RCD 510) power drain issue” for more details.
Warning! Users with the Skoda UHV bluetooth 1Z0 035 729 B (1Z0035729B) may want to delay upgrading the firmware, there is an issue with the RNS 510 no longer displaying the phone book and/or the call details but signal strength etc are visible for some phones. My HTC Diamond for example worked fine before the update but only partially afterwards however my Iphone 3G worked fine before and after. This is not a problem with the 1Z0 035 729 D (1Z0035729D) Skoda UHV bluetooth kit. The MFD functions as per normal with phone book and last calls listed correctly.
Note! Skoda owners (thanks to Ted)
- Extract files PQTABLE and SKTABLE from image (use magiciso or ultraiso). Files can be found from path: \VUCI\B101\RNSMIDEC\PROG
- Switch the filenames by just renaming SKTABLE to PQTABLE and vice versa
- Overwrite the renamed files back to image and save the image. Burn this image to DVD or CD.
- Load or reload the Firmware to your RNS-510 using the steps below.
- Voilá… buttons are back!
Note! Test/Setup Mode. The firmware can allow access to enter test/setup mode without Vagcom/VCDS access see Accessing the Setup Menu on the RNS 510 head units with firmware later than 1100. The procedure for entering the test/setup mode for those with Vagcom/VCDS is slightly different as well. To enter the test/setup mode when the RNS 510 is operating press and hold the setup button, keep holding it when the radio menu appears and shortly after the test menu appears . I had to reboot my unit after coding it but it may be possible a power cycle is enough.
Note! Failure (Gateway Error 202) – You can downgrade back to 1100 by inserting the 1100 firmware and rebooting the RNS 510 (Setup + eject + info).
Download Firmware Upgrade
Version Information from VERSION.TXT
-------------------------------------------- Software Loading CD for CP2 based units (c) CONTINENTAL Wetzlar CdTreeBuilder version 3.06 is used. -------------------------------------------- #CD:P 0 0 4 . 7 5 4 . 3 0 1 #DATE:2009-06-11 #Project: VWRNS #Author: RoNe #Steckbrief: C_EU_9.242_t300 C3/C4A/C5C/C6 #CommentStart: This is a SWL CD for VW delivery. #CommentEnd: #Integrationphase: Delivery cw45/09 C3/C4A/C5C/C6-samples #VwSwPartNumber:1T0035680C/1T0035680C/7L6035680C/3T0035680A/7F0035680/7E0035680 #VwSwIndex:2660/2666/2662/2668/2664 #AppsBuild:C_EU_9.242_t300 C3/C4A/C5C/C6 #CRC16:8b76
Firmware loading steps from start to finish